On being a (really) young aunt

For some months now I have known that I am probably one of the youngest great-aunts in history. Jokingly I decided to check the Guinness book of world records but the position of youngest aunt doesn't seem to appear; I didn't spend too much time on it so maybe it does exist. And given that the nature of my family, with its overlapping generations, is found in many parts of the Catholic Church I am unlikely to be the only youngest aunt. It is even possible that being an aunt for the first time at the age of 11 is not that young an age.

Today hopefully my family and I will meet (or at least e-meet since I am in another country) my new niece. As we all wait expectantly next to our phones both here and in Central America it is interesting for me to in a way to watch myself watching this beautiful part of life unfold. 

As Catholics, we know that pregnancy and childbirth are a miracle and amazing, but I sometimes feel this remains an abstraction for most people until you realise what the female body does.  I spent 6 years of my life studying pregnancy and childbirth and each time I thought of the movement of cartilage, bone, muscles, blood vessels, and fluids that make it possible I was blown away with gratitude towards my mother, amazement at all the women throughout the centuries that have made it possible for the human species to exist, and awe at God's marvellous creation. All that could go wrong in a pregnancy (and which sometimes does) usually does not happen. All that could go wrong during childbirth usually does not happen. And the sheer microscopic process in which conception and the different steps in which a baby's body begins to form was for me a constant reminder of how utterly perfect God's creation really is. He spoke and we are. All that is hidden in this paraphrase of Genesis and John's Gospel hides the immense wonder that takes place daily and from the beginning of time in each woman's body. All that does happen from the exchange of cells between mother and child (explained beautifully by Dr. Kristin Collier in this article) to the fact that a human being who once on this side of the womb could not survive submerged in any type of liquid spends 9 months happily growing in amniotic fluid.  Studying this reality,  even as I studied more the 'accidents' of childbirth than the times it went well, was for me a confirmation of faith, a faith in God's marvellous, awe-some, beautiful plan for each one of us.

So I sit here surrounded by my books and papers but in my heart, I am in Spain next to my niece, that baby I met when I was 11, and watch her meet her baby, whom she has protected and fed with her very body these past 9 months and I thank God with all my being for allowing me to witness this. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On marriage: thoughts from a marriage ‘postulant’

A brief note on going too far

Edith Stein and issues with translations