The Ryanair challenge- Donosti/San Se- Napolitanas de Chocolate-Hillbilly Thomists

At some point during my earlier student days, I swore never to use Ryanair again.....then I moved to a city that has the Ryanair airport (aka Stansted) 30 mins away, the temptation was too great đŸ˜‚. In that intervening time Ryanair has become more sharky, falling short of charging for the air people breathe while on their planes. The only free thing is a fairly small bag/rucksack anything else is charged for as 'little' as 15 GBP, and that is only for a small carry-on not a checkable bag. Over Christmas I grudgingly forked-out this sum but this time I really didn't feel like it, I thought that if I was going to spend on something I'd rather it be on a rucksack that would then serve other purposes. So I took on the "Ryanair challenge": to squeeze enough clothes for a week-long trip into a medium-sized rucksack and pass the crazy Ryanair attendant checkers without getting called out. Glad to say I find myself on the other side of that small escapade and safely esconced in the sea-side town of San Sebastian in the north of Spain staying with an old friend.  

Music, the sea, and drawing...oh and the giggling presence of a small almost three year old boy have taken up this past week of my life. Before coming here the endless stacks of books were too much even for the cheeriest of lovely early spring weather Cambridge could provide. The fact that mother nature was unable to alleviate the exhaustion I felt was a clear sign that I needed a proper break. So without much planning I accepted my friends invitation, bought a ticket, and flew over here four days later and my plans are still evolving as term doesn't begin again until after easter. 

Aside from seaside walks (still too cold for swimming) and exploring the town I have returned to the healing goodness of proper Spanish food (my Basque friends might insist it's Basque food but yeah it's Spanish as well) including the maybe not so healthy napolitanas de chocolate. There is an impostor roaming around the globe under the French name of 'pain au chocolat' but it is that, an impostor, the real thing is Spanish and it's called napolitanas de chocolate. I have been trying different bakeries to see which wins as the best donostiarra version but the best I have ever tried is still the one made in Pamplona at the old school, traditional Navarran bakery Beatriz. If you are ever in Pamplona and you go to the old town find this bakery and enjoy some of the best bake goods you will ever try (of course napolitanas top all of them).

Rounding up the week: how could anyone resist Dominican friars singing, brothers on guitars singing bluegrass....yep, bluegrass. The Hillbilly Thomist are quite the phenomenon and have even me who usually does not like bluegrass listening in. This closes this day at the seaside for once a tad wet with spring rain but no less beautiful.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

On marriage: thoughts from a marriage ‘postulant’

A brief note on going too far

Edith Stein and issues with translations